History

We have been around for a while, since 1870 in fact. The business has its roots in Workington and the first shop was opened in Finkle Street by JT Lister. His nephew Jim inherited Listers in 1912 and he established a thriving business. After his untimely death in 1932, his wife, Jane nee Whitehead, ran the business until her son Denis Lister returned from war service in 1946.

Denis expanded the business and opened up the now successful Baby shop in Workington. He retired in 1991 and left Listers to his youngest son Patrick. Patrick was already working in the business before his dad retired, and so had time to think about the future.

It is important that businesses move with the times and stay relevant; moving the main furniture business to Clay Flatts in Workington meant that customers could access the shop more easily with free on-site parking. The spacious showroom is on one level, modern furniture displays have been created and is accessible for all.

The Lakes Home Centre was added to the family business in 2004 and the mezzanine floor was created in 2011 establishing a whole floor of space for fabulous furniture collections.

The latest addition to the family business is the Baby Shop in Carlisle, opened in 2015.